Thursday, December 22, 2005

MUNDANE MIRACLES

I wasn't sure if the hummingbirds were feeding at the feeder now that the tree has lost all of its flowers. (And leaves!) The other day I was outside raking, and I saw the female come to the tree. I was right under the feeder, and she flew away when she saw me. Then, yesterday morning early, I went outside to feed the birds (mostly sparrows, doves and a few finches) and I heard that distinct buzzing sound. She was feeding on the feeder! She is always a sure sign of joy and the presence of {Flying Sphaghetti Monster/Goddess/God/Universe/Higher Power of your choice} in my life.

I think I've been doing very well at not freaking out or getting overwhelmed. Both are my natural inclinations! (I don't have small children, though! That makes the stress of the season much easier, I believe!) I've managed to stay calm in all of the traffic, or the store not having what I need, or not having the money to buy all the gifts I would like to. I have been able to focus in on what is enjoyable and try to magnify that. I am trying to accept all of my limitations (money, time, energy, etc) and to be content and satisfied regardless.

I am a little tired of people telling me that there is "no point." I am going to get my tree tomorrow, and it doesn't seem pointless to me. My Christmas memories are of the tree being decorated on Christmas Eve, and staying up for Church, and then coming home very late and very sleepy, but not too sleepy for my mother or grandmother's cocoa with miniature marshmallows. We gave gifts on Christmas morning, but we kept Christmas until Epiphany.

To me, Christmas begins too early and leaves too abruptly nowadays. I feel it has lost it's Mystical magic in all of the rush.

I am behind in blogging and checking in on everyone's blogs! But tomorrow is another day! Tomorrow is up early for errands and then to Trader Joes and the supermarket for Christmas Day dinner supplies, and then home to clean, decorate the tree and wrap the few presents I was able to purchase. And get caught up on all the blogs and what everyone in my blogosphere has been doing!

I do love reading about everyone else's lives and interests! Those of you on my sidebar have really increased my appreciation of the beauty and diversity of people on the planet! Reading all these blogs makes me feel like the whole world is filled with awesome, creative, unique and talented people! YOU ALL ROCK!!!

Sometimes I feel as if I am constantly fighting off negative thoughts, expectations and feelings, but at other times, like today, I realise that there is always some sort of struggle, something we must overcome in ourselves, and that the trick is to just lean into it without getting frustrated. Because there will always be something to stress about! But there will always be something to rejoice about to! There will always be a sign, and there will always be beauty! There really are so many moments to enjoy in each day! And always some suprise, some mundane miracle! Like my hummingbird sighting!

UNTIL NEXT TIME, MERRY TOODLE!!!

PS-- yes, drinking...But not much, mostly just wooed by the Christmas lights and music...

5 comments:

Astronaut said...

And a merry toodle to you aswell. I know what you mean about reading about other peoples lives. It sounds really genuine, well mine certainly is anyway. Small children though no matter how cute they are, always stress people out with their demands, i think the best soloution is to stop them watching adverts that's what ruins christmas. I'd also like to say, that good americans like yourself and other american bloggers, are not represented well enough in the UK, this has given negative views to your country, which such a shame, the reason for these negative views, are once again due to the media, a lot of american shows in the UK are things like jerry springer, sally jessy raphael, representing the absoloute shite of society. And the news isn't any better, most of the time americans are portrayed as narrow minded cowboys. Which there is some of, but not all. Anyway i'm going on here, better stop my three pronged attack on the media. Incase you didn't know, i posted a response to your question on 24 hour party people on my blog, wrote quite a bit. It is under the title "Ravers".

Chairborne Stranger said...

Hey christmas trees are cool, and I support you 100% and you rock, too, ST, thanks for popping by so much and thinking of me! Lol, talk to you soon!

Cassandra said...

Love those mundane miracles...they are every where, we just don't always see them.
Get that tree up and have a great time! Call your mom in the nursing home, but you already know to do that!!

Oh yes, there is always a point!!
Merry, Merry, Joy, Joy!!

Cassandra said...

Sorry you didn't get your tree!!! Bummer!!
If you're still up or when you wake up, Tiny is stuggling right now...doesn't sound good at all. I'm calling in the troops...
http://grow-a-brain.blogspot.com/

Clance' McClannahan said...

I wanna drink with ya...
We can all get together for Christmas in one of my rooms they are both chat enabled
either here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hereintheivorytower
or my changeworksnow at paltalk...there is a download need for that one and it is not locked tho...
Merry Christmas!