Thursday, October 06, 2005

GODZILLA: FRIEND OR FOE? & HIP HOP PHOTOS

Maybe everyone has already heard this. My friend Jack told me once that there is a theory among Godzilla fans that the lizard monster born of Hiroshima's fallout actually represents Japanese/U.S. relations. In the first movies Godzilla is a rampaging destroyer, but in later movies Godzilla defends Japan against other monsters. And that further, this change takes place as the U.S. strengthened economic ties with Japan. I've never been able to conduct a scientific study, which would mean a weekend of viewing all (Japanese) Godzilla movies chronologically, and some research on the history of U.S./Japanese relations.

Also, having nothing to do with Godzilla, I found this interesting article and slide show link on another blog. (I've forgotten which one, sorry!) Back in the early eighties I was a big Hip Hop fan, and my favourite DJ's were The Cold Crush Brothers. I've only met one other person in the last 23 years that not only knew who The Cold Crush Brothers were, but also named them as his favourites. (A rep for Tommy Boy Records, but were just talking as fans of Hip Hop.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/nyregion/04wide.html
http://www.coldcrushbrothers.com/index2.cfm?section_id=3

These days I couldn't even name a Lauryn Hill single, and I had to ask someone the other day who "Fergie" was, since the photo in the magazine was definitely not the former Duchess. I still think of CCB, Whodini, and The Sugarhill Gang when someone says "Hip Hop." But back in the day I was cutting edge. For one thing, randomly wandering the streets of Manhatten in 1982, I actually saw THE most famous "break dancers": The Rock Steady Crew. (Although after the movement had become bigger than it's original and most famous members, Prince Ken Swift and Crazy Legs, who were off playing themselves in hip hop movies. Alas, once again, born too late...)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0084904/
http://www.msu.edu/user/okumurak/dancers/rsc.html

It's almost TGIF. Don't forget to stop by Sooners for a weekend martini! Straightjacket specials all weekend! http://beertender.blogster.com/blogApp/?u=Beertender

UNTIL NEXT TIME, TOODLE ON!

5 comments:

Feena said...

That sounds like deep philosophical musings about Godzilla...

I just like all the random violence and special effects *lol* But I did cry when I watched the American remake when the big Godzilla finds all the dead baby Godzillas and nudges them to make them wake up *sniff* gets me every time!

Ron Kane said...

On my first trip to Japan, I was taken to Yokohama by two young women. Right outside of the train station, there was a row of hawkers all selling Godzilla stuff. "Do you know Gogira?", they asked me. "Yes", I replied, "Please tell me what you know about him". They giggled and one of them said, "He destroys Yokohama". (It was funnier in person).

Chairborne Stranger said...

Hey, great post! And thanks for reading, btw-and we have Purell here that the Army provided, we use it, but the Iraqis won't?!>

Rand said...

I too have enjoyed the occassional Godzilla flick. I heard the origins of Godzilla were based in the fear of what the radiation from the Atomic bombs would do.

Loser, what the &*$# are you talking about? Did you read the post?

ST, I'd like to know more about your suggestion to read Harville Hendrix. Can you tell me more?

Scottish Toodler said...

Don't worry Loser, I knew what you were talking about. (LMAO) Rand, I will have to go back to your site and read what I wrote. I am like a television evangelist when it comes to Harville Hendrix. I recommend him to everyone who has noticed a pattern in their relationships. (So maybe my life isn't such a spectacular endorsement of the book, but don't hold that against the author!!!!)