Sunday, October 23, 2005

SCOTLAND'S OTHER BARD

Scotland's great monarch was Robert The Bruce; Her great hero was William Wallace; Her great bard was Robert Burns. I suppose Her next greatest royal would be (Catholic) Mary Stewart; hero, (defeated) Bonnie Prince Charlie; and bard? Well, I would choose (irreverant) Ian Anderson.

Tony Scott (on KLOS-- sorry Native Wayne, but it was some long commercial and I switched the station!) was spinning Jethro Tull's AQUALUNG as I drove home tonight, and I was entranced once again by how beautiful and compelling Anderson's songs are.

"If anyone can mix the medaeaval and the modern," Scott mused, "It's Ian Anderson and his band. That was part one," he continued. "In part two we really get into the hypocrisy of religion."

Anderson is rock and roll volume, folk song melodies, Elizabethan orchestrations, and Pagan lyrics. His music is as fierce as a Bruce, brave as a Wallace, and as bawdy and romantic as Burns.

Wondring Aloud

Wondring Aloud,
how we feel today?
Last night set the sunset,
my hand in her hair.
We are our own saviors, as we start,
both our hearts, beating life
Into each other
Wondring aloud,
will the years treat us well?
As she floats in the kitchen,
I am tasting the smell
Of toast as the butter runs,
then she comes,
spilling crumbs,
on the bed
and I shake my head.
Only the giving that makes you,
what you are.

UNTIL NEXT TIME, TOODLE ON!

3 comments:

Ron Kane said...

Toodler: Did you know that Mr. Anderson re-recorded this song as "Wond'ring Again" for the "Living In The Past" collection LP, about '72?

Rand said...

Quite the homage to Jethro Tull.. I haven't listented to them in years. Should do so again. I've got the 20 year compilation album someplace.

Susan said...

To be honest, I never really listened to Jethro Tull although my brother blasted that through my walls.